Licenses and Permits

Business License and Occupancy

In the City of Elgin, all persons who conduct, engage in, maintain, operate, carry on or manage a business, either through such person or through an agent, employee or partner, shall obtain by February 1 of each year a business license for said business.

A separate license shall be required for each separate place of business. The requirement of a business license shall be in addition to any other licenses and fees required by law.

Other Licenses

If your business engages in an activity that requires a specific business license from the city, such as (the annual fee for that particular license remains in effect):


For any questions regarding the business occupancy and license applications or the process outlined above, please contact 311 at 847-931-6001 or email us.